- 6th Grade PE Survival Guide
- Accelerated Reader Bookfinder
- Binder Reminder
- Homework & Study Help
6th Grade Families,
Welcome to C.E. Utt Middle School Physical Education!! Please click on the link below to read the 6th Grade PE Survival Guide and learn more about the PE teacher, Ms. Lara, and what to expect during the school year in PE.
Be a reading rock star! Choosing a book appropriate to your level can be easy. You can look up Accelerate Reader books by visiting Accelerated Reader Bookfinder. You can search in English or Spanish using criteria such as ATOS book level or a Lexile™ measure, interest level, title, author, fiction or nonfiction, subject, award-winners, state lists, CCSS Exemplars, and more.
NEST: Nurturing Enrichment Study Time
The purpose of NEST is to keep our Focus on Learning by supporting students with an extra 30 minutes of academic intervention per day. The integration of NEST into the Utt Middle School bell schedule will:
- increase grades for struggling students
- decrease the occurrence of missing assignments
- increase GPA's
- raise state test scores
The NEST program will begin regularly every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday beginning October 10th. During the NEST period, students will have several choices as to how they will use the time:
- Teacher-lead intervention sessions
- students may seek out a teacher for help
- students may be required by a teacher to attend specific teacher-lead sessions. For students being requested to attend two or more specific rooms at a time, the following classes will take priority on specific days: Monday —> PE or Electives, Tuesday —> Math, Thursday —> Core, Friday —> Science Study Center rooms for homework completion or quiet collaborative work
- SSR - Silent Sustained Reading (no e-books allowed)
On any given day, teachers may offer to their students Academic Intervention, Study Center time, or SSR. All students must attend a NEST room that is specific to their grade. For example, 6th graders will report to 6th grade teachers (electives may be mixed, please see the teacher for questions). Students may choose where they attend unless directed to a mandatory teacher-lead session. This will be denoted by a teacher stamp in the students’ binder reminder. Students must have their binder reminders with them at all times. Students who do not bring their binder reminder must report to their priority day teacher.
At all times during NEST, students are expected to follow three classroom expectations: Be Silent, Be Focused, and Be Productive.
Students who do not attend mandatory NEST sessions, cannot find a classroom in a timely manner, or struggle with the classroom NEST expectations will receive the following consequences:
- 1st time – Warning
- 2nd time – Teacher will contact parent or write referral, discipline logged into system, detention assigned.
- 3rd time – Teacher will write referral, discipline logged into system, detention assigned, plus student warned of progressive discipline policy.
- 4th time – Same as 3rd, possible Saturday school.
Students that are stamped to attend a teacher’s class are required to go there directly. Students with a free choice can verify the schedule of classrooms or sessions available by checking this NEST schedule online. Please see a teacher if you have any questions.