Wellness at THS
Challenge Success at Tustin High School
The Tustin High School Challenge Success Team believes that a narrow definition of success, one which overemphasizes grades, test scores, and performance, allows little time for kids to develop the essential skills needed to become independent, ethical, and critical thinkers. Our aim is to help keep our kids in balance- Healthy, Engaged Kids.
THS CHALLENGE SUCCESS VISION
“Tustin High School will ensure that all parties are authentically engaged in challenging and purposeful learning while minimizing stress and valuing each member of the community.”
THS CHALLENGE SUCCESS TEAM
- Jon Tuin - Principal
- Ryon Tanara - Assistant Principal, Student Services
- Jayme Acosta - Counselor, Language Support
- Perla Balderasherrejon, Teacher, Spanish
- Heidi Primeaux, Teacher, Languages Arts
- Celeste Kelly - Teacher, Special Education
- Chris Miguel - Teacher, Math & Activities Co-Director
- Tyler Watkins - Teacher, Science & Biomedical Pathway
- Jerry Huang - THS Parent
- Cristopher Espino - THS Student, 11th grade
- Margarita De Jesus - THS Student, 11th grade
Tustin High is taking the next step toward successfully achieving our school’s mission of fostering a community that supports student diversity and values the backgrounds of all students. We aim to enrich the overall educational experience for all of our students. We believe that students who feel valued and experience a sense of ownership in their school community are more likely to be successful in all of their future pursuits.
The Mental Wellness Taskforce will be coordinating wellness related events, activities, and workshops for students throughout the school year.
On September 12th, the Mental Wellness Taskforce held their first event called “Thoughtful Thursday” at snack and followed up with a Mindfulness Tutorial workshop which focused on the introduction of various self-care activities to students in attendance.
In October, we kicked off our Wellness Initiative with Mental Wellness Week. Every day focused on a different topic and provided students with coping strategies they can use any time they are feeling stressed and overwhelmed.
Throughout the year, the Wellness Taskforce will continue to support students and staff with Mindful Monday events on the first Monday of every month. So far, our themes have included: Blue Up for Bullying Prevention, Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude, Lend a Hand, and Spark Something New. With the support of student clubs, programs, departments, and the THS PTO, we are working toward creating an environment that supports the social and emotional needs of our students.
In October 2019, the Wellness Taskforce created a week of activities related to Mental wellness with the support of student organizations and local agencies. Above are images from the events.
- Joanne Cabrera, District Mental Health Specialist
- Marissa Reyes, Communications Specialist
- Veronica Williams, Counselor, Special Interventions
Support Team Members
- 2019-2020 THS Counseling Department Interns
- Lillian Tran-Chow
- Lauren Delfin
- Sharon Jain
- Ashley Posevec
- Team of Student “Wellness Ninjas”
- THS student clubs, programs, teams, and activities