Celebrating Birthdays at Loma Vista
Students love to celebrate birthdays at school, as it is a memorable time to share with teachers and friends. In an effort to abide by the TUSD Wellness Policy and to maximize student learning time, we are asking that all parents follow these guidelines when planning for your child’s birthday celebration at school. The Loma Vista staff feels strongly that by following these guidelines, we are promoting healthy living, honoring our Cougars with special diets, and maximizing student learning!
- Contribute a BOOK to the Loma Vista library through the Birthday Book program.
- Make a donation through a RIPPLE KIDS event in honor of your child’s birthday at: http://www.ripplekids.com/
- Bring in NON-FOOD items for classmates such as pencils, erasers, bookmarks, etc.
- Donate an EDUCATIONAL GAME or book for your child’s classroom in your child’s honor.
- Send your child to school wearing a Happy Birthday sticker or hat (for outside wear) so he/she may receive lots of good cheer from friends and staff.
Students are no longer allowed to bring sugary food items (including cupcakes) for birthday celebrations. It is very important that as a community, Loma Vista is on board with the TUSD Wellness Policy. We also ask that parents refrain from bringing birthday balloons onto school campus. Your cooperation in supporting the wellness of our Cougars is very much appreciated!
If you decide to send food to school, consider these healthier suggestions:
- Fresh fruit wedges - cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon, pineapple, oranges, etc.
- Sliced fruit - nectarines, peaches, kiwi, star fruit, plums, mangos, apples, etc.
- Raw vegetable sticks/slices with low-fat dressing or yogurt dip
- Fruit leathers (all fruit no sugar added)
- Applesauce cups (no sugar added)
- Frozen fruit juice pops with fruit juice or fruit as the first ingredient
- Dried fruit
- Fruit smoothies made with fat-free or low-fat milk
- Baked chips with salsa and low-fat dips
- Mini bagels with light or fat-free cream cheese
- Fat-free or low-fat flavored yogurt and fruit parfaits
- Popcorn (no butter added)
- Rice/popcorn cakes
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice
To view the TUSD Wellness Policy go to: http://www.schoolnutritionandfitness.com/schools/tusd_0102080004339865/WellnessPolicy.pdf