Our School's Documents
IMPORTANT HEWES DATES 2018
- 7th and 8th Grade On-Campus Registration: August 6; 8:30-1:00
- 6th Grade/ New Student On-Campus Registration: August 7; 8:30-1:00
- 6th Grade Orientation: Monday, August 13; 8:00-1:00
- First Day of School: Tuesday, August 14; 8:00 AM
- Online Data Confirmation (print form at end of this process)
- 2018-19 PTA Sponsored Event Participation Waiver (Required for students to participate in any Hewes PTA-sponsored events)
The information below is optional but will be helpful to you and your student(s)
- 2018 PTA REGISTRATION, including:
- PTA Membership
- Highlander Club Fall Fundraiser
- Hewes Spirit Wear and Highlander Merchandise
- Community Support Opportunities
- PURCHASE 2018-2019 HEWES YEARBOOK ONLINE In addition to purchasing your yearbook, you may also purchase an 8th grade dedication ad for your favorite promoting 8th grader! Make your purchase early and save-- yearbook prices increase in the spring! Yearbooks may also be ordered during on-campus registration with cash, check, or credit card. Yearbooks will be distributed at the end of the school year.
- Print Data Confirmation Form. This form can be printed at the end of the online data confirmation process on Aeries. The printed form is required to receive your student's class schedule and school ID.
- Bring cash/check to purchase Physical Education (P.E.) clothes at on-campus registration, if needed. $12 each for tshirts and shorts. View PE clothing flyer and PE Dress Code Policy for more information.
- Student photos will be taken during on-campus registration and will be included in the school yearbook. Copies will be available for purchase at www.southcoastphotographic.com
- If you would prefer to purchase a yearbook in person, bring cash, check, or credit card for your order.
**Please note, iPads will be distributed during On-Campus Registration to students who have received their class schedule. Textbooks will be distributed once school is in session.
- On Campus Registration Dates By Grade
- Policies & Procedures at Hewes
- School Hours
- School Supplies
- Student Schedules
- What if we couldn't attend registration on August 6 or 7?
What is Core?
Core for 6th graders is 3 periods: Reading, Language Arts and Social Science.
Core for 7th and 8th graders is 2 periods: Language Arts and Social Science.
What is the Exploratory Elective?
Sixth graders have the option to be in the exploratory wheel, band or try out for advanced chorus. In the exploratory wheel, students have a different elective every 9 weeks such as AVID exploratory, foreign language, research and technology, STEM, and woodshop.
If I want to request a schedule change, how do I do it?
Mrs. Motter will be available during on campus registration. If you have questions or want to change your schedule, please see her during registration as those in-person requests have the highest priority. Hewes registration is August 6th and 7th from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm. If your change is able to be made, it will be available in your homeroom class on the first day of school. After the first day of school, only changes of a compelling nature will be considered.
What foreign language electives can I take as a 7th grader?
Hewes offers Spanish 1A for all 7th graders. After successfully completing Spanish 1A, you take Spanish 1B your 8th grade year.
You cannot begin a foreign language at Hewes your 8th grade year, you need to start in 7th grade. J
What is Technology PLTW and STEM?
Project Lead the Way (PLTW) provides the hands-on curriculum for the STEM program at Hewes. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. OUR year-long STEM elective classes are currently full in 7th and 8th grade but available in the 6th grade exploratory wheel.
Who can pick up my schedule at registration?
Schedules are handed out to the student and/or parent/guardian only.
The staff at Hewes Middle School considers your child’s course placement very seriously and teacher recommendations are made using a variety of multiple measures.
More information will be available at Back to School Night regarding course content and course progression.
If you could not attend the August 6 or 7 registration dates, please visit the school office any day before August 14th with your completed Data Confirmation Sheet (print that last page of the online Data Confirmation process) to receive your class schedule.
If you cannot get to Hewes before school starts, students should go straight to their homeroom class on August 14 to turn in Data Confirmation Sheets and receive their class schedule. (Signs will be posted on August 14 indicating which homeroom students should report to, depending on grade and last name).
Makeup picture day is August 29th during PE class period. PE clothes can be purchased from the PE teacher.
Be sure to visit www.hewespta.org to support the PTA, sign the PTA Participation waiver for your student, and purchase spirit wear, yearbook etc.