It is recognized that students do their best work in school when they are placed in a grade with other students of the same chronological age. The following link provides TUSD guidelines for placing students at the appropriate grade level. Please contact your neighborhood school if you have any questions regarding grade-level placement.
1. Verify student birth date and age provided at the time of initial enrollment.
2. Use the grade-level placement guidelines to identify the appropriate age-range for each grade level.
3. Specific guidelines for TK, K, and 1st:
- Children born between September 2, 2012 and December 2, 2012 will be placed in the Transitional Kindergarten program. Parents do not have an option to petition for a Kindergarten placement.
- Minimum age requirement for Kinder: A child shall be admitted to a Kindergarten at the beginning of a school year, or at any later time in the same year if the child will have his or her fifth (5th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48000; Kindergarten Readiness Bill 1381)
- A child shall be admitted to the first (1st) grade of an elementary school during the first month of a school year if the child will have his or her sixth (6th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48010)
4. Specific guidelines for the Secondary Level:
- Any student who has reached his/her 15th birthday at the time of enrollment shall be referred to the high school.
- No student shall be permitted to begin a school year after he/she has reached his/her 19th birthday.