Dual Language Immersion Program
Today, more of the world’s population speaks more than one language. Up to 66 percent of the world’s children are raised bilingual.
Dual Immersion Program
The Dual Language program at Thorman Elementary is a 90/10 Two-Way Immersion Program — our classrooms consist of an equal number of native English-speaking and native Spanish-speaking students. Our teachers are highly qualified and state certified to teach in two languages. Our focus of instruction is not on the learning of two languages, but rather on the learning of academic content by using two languages.
The 3 main goals of our program:
- Students will achieve bilingual proficiency in both English and Spanish
- Students will reach high levels of academic achievement in both languages
- Students will become cross-cultural ambassadors for our school, community, and society.
Our 90/10 Dual Language program creates academically competent, bilingual, and biliterate students through research-based practice and differentiated instruction. We will achieve our program goals while enriching all second language learners in a cross-cultural environment.
- Students achieve proficiency in both English and Spanish
- Students achieve academically at or above grade level in both languages
- Students develop cross-cultural understanding and respect, as well as experience working and playing in a multi-cultural setting
- Parents are encouraged to take an active role in their child’s long-term education
- Biliteracy gives students greater career opportunities
- Learning a second language helps develop strong thinking and reasoning skills useful for problem-solving in math and science
- Students develop a high level of self-esteem and confidence
- Biliteracy helps prepare students to meet the challenges of a global society