Policies & Procedures
Our daily uniform consists of:
- Benjamin Beswick Elementary is a UNIFORM school. Students Must be in UNIFORM except on designated free dress days.
- Collared Shirt: Red, white, or blue without logos (or Beswick Logo T-Shirt)
- Pants, jeans, shorts or skirts: navy blue, khaki (tan) or black. Skirts and shorts need to be as long as your fingertips when your hands are stretched straight down your side.
- Shoes: close-toed Hats: can be worn for sun protection, but not in classrooms
Each child should take responsibility for the care of his/her belongings. Please label all personal belongings such as coats, sweaters, jackets, books, back packs, lunch boxes, etc. with your child’s name. If an item is misplaced, encourage your child to check in his/her classroom and the lost and found located outside the school office. Items not claimed will be donated to charity.
- Toys are not allowed at school.
Cell phones are permitted but must be turned off and kept inside the backpack during the day. TUSD is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
The State of California has a compulsory education law. This law states that students are required to attend school punctually and regularly.
1.Excused Absence are absence for causes listed in the State Educational Code are: illness and medical appointments. For any type of doctor’s appointment, please bring a doctor’s note.
* Students that have a morning or afternoon doctor appointment are required to come to school for the portion of the day that the student is not at the doctor’s office.
2.Unexcused Absence are absences for any reason other than those listed above. Truancy that is intentional is a violation of state attendance laws.
3 .Emergency Trips: Please contact the school office at least three days prior to absence for approval. Students may be placed on an “Independent Contract” when it is necessary for them to be away from school because of emergency trips.
4. After any absence, students MUST BRING A NOTE signed by the parent/legal guardian, or parents must make a phone call to the school office stating the date(s) and reason for the student’s absence.
5. After 10 absences in a year consecutive or not, a doctor’s note is required for absences to be excused.
Students that have excessive absences will be referred to the School Attendance Review Board (SARB).
Students are expected to be in their classrooms at 8:00 a.m., line up is at 7:55 a.m.
Anyone who arrives at 8:00 a.m. and after will be marked as tardy unexcused unless a medical note is accompanied.
Any student that is more than 30 minutes late will be regarded as truant. Students with excessive tardies will be referred to the School Attendance Referral Board (SARB). Tardies cause unnecessary stress on students, teach them bad habits and disrupt the class.
Please be advised, if your student has any unverified absences they will be reflected in the upcoming report card. Be sure to log in to your Aeries portal HERE and review your student's attendance.
Before Friday, please provide the main office with any outstanding notes from medical appointments.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
BREAKFAST: K-5 7:35 a.m. -7:55 a.m.
LUNCH: Kinder 11:40 a.m. Grades 1, 2, 3 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Grades 4 & 5 12:30 – 1:15 p.m.
All students receive free and reduced breakfast and lunch at Beswick Elementary. If you choose to pack a nutritious lunch from home, please send students to school with their bagged lunch in the mornings or drop lunches off on the lunch cart by 11:30 a.m. labeled with the student name, grade, and teacher.
Homework is an integral part of the academic program. Homework reinforces skills, fosters creativity, involves parents in the educational program of their child, and teaches responsibility. Homework assignments vary according to the grade level, the needs of the student, and the content area. Upper grade students (3rd-5th) will record homework assignments daily or weekly in this Reminder Binder. All kindergarten through fifth grade students are required to read or listen to an adult read to them for 20-30 minutes each night. In addition, students will be assigned other homework (generally Monday-Thursday) based on the following guidelines:
Kindergarten 10 minutes/night Third Grade: 40 minutes/night
First Grade: 20 minutes/night Fourth Grade: 50 minutes/night
Second Grade: 30 minutes/night Fifth Grade: 60 minutes/night
Listed below are several things parents can do to help students:
- Establish a quiet environment and regular time for homework each day.
- Provide the necessary supplies, such as pencils, paper, dictionary, crayons, etc.
- Encourage your child to do the best work possible. Offer praise for a job well done.
- Show interest by asking questions such as, “What is the assignment about?”
- Offer to help with instructions or answer questions.
- Check that assignments are complete and neatly done, and then initial the binder.
- Establish consequences for not completing homework (limit playtime, games, or TV).
Parents are welcome to park legally on the school's neighboring streets and walk students to and from school.
Please do not park in the parking spaces that are labeled.
Please be advised that there is no parent parking or student pick-up or drop-off at the start or end of the school day in the Beswick Elementary staff parking lot. Please also respect our neighbors and understand that there is no blocking driveways.