Welcome 9th Grade Students!
Freshman Year Checklist
ALL YEAR LONG
- Use a day planner to keep assignments and homework organized
- Get involved in activities, the arts, clubs and athletics
- Register with www.collegeboard.org to create a personal academic profile
- Take strong academic courses
- Make good use of your time in tutorial
- Check your mytusd.org email and your Naviance account for college rep visits at Beckman High
- Begin a portfolio that includes high school academic recognition awards, achievements, and projects
- Have a parent/guardian attend "B Prepared for High School" Parent Night
- Have your parent/guardian attend "Back to School Night"
- Have your parent attend Fall "Report Card Night"
- Visit the College/Career Center and begin investigating college and career resources
- Attend Career and College Fair
- Review graduation and A-G requirements and create your 4-year plan with your counselor in your biology class
- Study for fall final exams
- Have a parent/guardian attend the 9th grade Counselor Coffee
- Plan out your sophomore schedule and meet with your 10th grade counselor for registration
- Plan to visit a college or two during spring break
- Have your parent attend Spring "Report Card Night"
- Study for Spring Final Exams
- Look into internships, summer programs and community service to strengthen your academic resume
- Enroll in summer school classes if necessary
- Visit colleges over the summer
- Update your academic portfolio file with recent report cards, honors and co-curricular involvement